Flash Fiction Friday? New World Coming

Is this a thing?  Am I making this a thing?

I honestly haven’t decided.  Let’s treat it like a Thing and see how that feels, m’kay?

Today’s post is a response to The Book Blogger’s Flash Fiction Foray Challenge, in which we are given a song and a limit of 100 words.

I got it down to 115 and stopped trying to kill myself over it.*  I’m long-winded: love me for what I am.

This week’s song is lovely and inspiring and you should listen to it at least a dozen times, until it invades your dreams (I did!) even if you’re not normally one to stick around when someone like me starts with the “hey, let me read you some of my fiction….”

The wind rattled a little leaf, whirling it ‘round on its freshly sprung stem, agitating its siblings as they clung to their new life.  With a vicious twist it detached fully and soared terrifyingly free.  It lifted on a morning thermal before swooping low, whisking amongst a sudden throng of determined, chanting humanity as they marched, holding their banners aloft.

Free of the crush, the little leaf again caught the wind, soaring high above the throng, suspended, then skimming over a much-abused structure to fetch wetly against the one unbroken window.

The woman wore large sunglasses, her hair and clothing artfully hiding many scars.  “I’ll take it,” she said, looking at the damaged little house.

*  And, for those of you who might wonder why these tend a bit more somber than my usual fare, it’s because it’s hard to be funny in only 100 words! **

** Unless there’s a terrible picture attached.  Then I can do it in, like, five.

19 comments on “Flash Fiction Friday? New World Coming

It totally should be a thing, these are wonderful to read! Although they do make me feel a bit guilty about the dozens of files on my computer that start stories and go nowhere.

• My lifelong dream is to inspire others while secretly making them feel inferior. And to own a savannah – they go for walkies like dogs!

As for the stories, I say cannibalize ’em or wrap ’em up! Sometimes we get started on something and the delusions of grandeur strike that particular muse, who must be reined in.

Enjoyed it. A little bit of somber works to accentuate your funny. It’s like adding salt to chocolate. It just brings out the flavor.

3. Ahhh, it seems you were not a one trick pony after all, this challenge was ‘neigh’ bother to you! I shall have to up my game 🙂

4. Jaded Jeni says:

Yes, yes, make this a thing!

5. It occurred to me that the unpredictable movement of that leaf was quite like the unpredictable nature of the song; and I thought the imagery of a leaf was particularly interesting with its links to transience and impermanence. Thanks for taking part!

Best wishes, Matt

6. […] conversations with my husband – Flash Fiction Friday? New World Coming – with some very interesting imagery of a leaf that echoed the song’s unpredictable […]

7. Ritu says:

Wonderful take!

8. calensariel says:

You had me at soared terrifyingly free. What a feeling inside that conjured up for me! Loved it.
    Calen~

9. curtisbausse says:

That’s a great piece – the leaf soaring like a voice, then the woman’s scars matching the damaged house. Nice!